Saturday, May 16, 2009

Pizza Dough Recipe

For those who loved the bread, here is something else to make the family go gaga!

Makes 4, 1-pound loaves...so it says. I just break of bits at a time and make mini pizzas for the family.

2 3/4 cups lukewarm water
1 1/2 tbsp yeast
1 1/2 tbsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
6 1/2 cups flour

Mix all wet ingredients. Add flour. Mix without kneading. I just get my hands in there and work it until it is one sticky mass. Cover (not airtight) and rest at room temperature until dough rises and then flattens on top, app. 2 hours. Dough can be used immediately or refrigerated up to 12 days.

It is very sticky and can be hard to handle. When pulling off a piece, dust with flour to keep from sticking to your hands. I just pull at it until somewhat round. Can use rolling pin or a neat trick is to set a flattened piece on an upside down bowl and let it pull itself down.

Works best on pizza stone, preheated. Bake pizza at highest temperature available 450-500 degrees. Let stone warm up at least 20 minutes. Cooking time will vary with size of pizza. I can fit three small pizzas on my stone and it takes about 7-8 minutes.

If you are using pizza stone, put dough on parchment paper first (with cornmeal to coat bottom if you like) then add sauce/toppings from there. This will be the easiest way to put pizza on the stone. Dough is too sticky to slide off a plate or sheet. I coat my pizza peel with cornmeal and then slide it on the hot stone.

Enjoy! I also make panzerotti with this recipe. Brush pastry or crust with a little olive oil and then rub with the inside of a clove garlic for an extra treat.

I think this is why my family likes me so much...

No comments: