Saturday, May 16, 2009

A Near Perfect Evening

Life has been stressful and hectic these days. Issues that require immediate attention with the condo board are calling me. The kids are wrapping up tons of activities and we are still trying to plan, book or reserve summer ones. Izzy is potty training. A community BBQ and fireworks display have been planned and organized. (Buying fireworks was an unexpected thrill though, lol.) Rob's vacation was an "opportunity" to do much needed work around the house. There are recitals, banquets, birthday parties and so much more on the horizon. My calendar is bulging and I think I get some down time in July. Only July though. August looks pretty rough already. I won't...can't even think about what Fall will bring.

Yet, tonight, the eve of a very hectic day that will consume all of my attention from the moment I wake up until the late in the evening when last firework is lit off is somewhat relaxing. Odd...bizarre, even.

I am sitting here, with the patio doors wide open. The wind has died down and the smell of the crisp air after a hard rain is intoxicating. I have lemon poppy seed loaves baking in the oven. It smells so lovely in here. I swear there is nothing more perfect than fresh lemons. God, was I channeling Martha Stewart just then?! The lights are dimmed. I hear a low rumble from the tv where Rob is playing soccer on the Wii. The kids are fast asleep. My web radio is playing classic FM 100 and I am calm, relaxed and content.

I love these moments. Alone time. Not physically, but mentally. I am in my zone in the kitchen but with two young children I rarely enjoy this kind of ambiance uninterrupted. If I could track down a bottle of Pinot Blanc this would truly be heaven on earth.

No comments: