Monday, November 30, 2009

In Desperate Need of Christmas Spirit!

Tomorrow is December 1st and I wish it were really November 1st. The days are flying by too quickly. I still have a ton of shopping to do. It has been unseasonably warm in this part of Ontario and the kids and I haven't even broken out our mittens yet.

Plus I have been super, freakishly sick!

This cold/flu hybrid thing (which my sister-in-law mentioned could be H1N1, like she has) is killing me. Over a week into this hell and still no signs of abating. The cough is so bad that I pulled muscles in my ribcage and at the base on my skull. Agony!

Usually I am chomping at the bit to get the tree up but not now. I was especially excited about Christmas 09 thanks to the disaster that was my kitchen last year. I have all kinds of baking plans, activities to do with the kids...our basic holiday stuff.

Instead, all I see are crazy traffic jams, annoyingly long lines at check-out counters and prettily decorated homes mocking me over my lack of holiday spirit.

Rob thinks I am just miserable because I am sick and in a week, when I have mended, things will be back on track - festive-wise. Probably. I hope so. Right now I just feel so much like Scrooge.

Think I'll head upstairs now for some more tea and advil.

3 comments:

yofed said...

I can't help you for this year, but next year, try doing the shopping early, troughout the year, so when December rolls around, with the ilnesses and the madness in the malls, all you have to do is decorate your house, bake, pour some eggnog and enjoy the holidays.

It's definitely worth it!

Butterfly said...

Sorry to hear you're feeling awful! I hope you bounce back soon.

Could you do some of the shopping online? A lot of toyshops have online catalogs, and there are lots of books, instruments, posters, music ... etc.

Don't stress about the decorations. Mine don't go up until mid December, as my husband doesn't like the big hype. Perhaps the kids could start for you. But wait until you're up to it, no point doing it when it adds to stress. Be kind to yourself.

Best wishes from Australia!

M.J. said...

Thanks!

Usually I am done Christmas shopping by December but last year's kitchen reno was done in cash and we spent the rest of the year playing catch-up :-/ I *love* online shopping and do as much as I can that way. Really, not too many stores to head to...just not in a mood to do any of it.

Feeling better overall. Just wish this wicked cough would take a hike!