Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Its not easy being small.


We have this book, a Sesame Street featuring Elmo book, that talks about being small and wishing you were bigger, or being big and wishing you were small. This book crossed my mind as I was pulling out of the parking lot after some time at the lake with the kids. We had visited the park, late in the afternoon but before local schools had let out. It was full of children, ages four and under. The kids had fun but I spent the whole time having to shadow Alex.

Alex is a big kid for his age. I think I measured him at around 4'2" last Christmas. He has grown at least another inch since...his size 7 pants and creeping up his ankles. A boy who just turned 6 a few months ago is in size 8 tops and 7/8 pants. He is very well spoken (at least when not stuttering from being over excited or tired) and comes across as older to many people. Which is a problem.

At the park, I see my kid, running around with the other little kids, having fun - being exuberant. They see a much older child, too big to play with their kids - assuming he will be too rough on them. He gets into a lot of trouble, prematurely, from parents who see him running too close to their little ones. It is frustrating and makes me more than a little angry.

Yes, he is a big kid but he has a gentle soul. Sure, if the boys are running around playing pirates and holding swords, he will too - with gusto! But he would never hurt a little kid intentionally.

Its not easy being big...indeed.

No comments: